The YouTube (video) link is available, here and the audio link is available here. To view the Missions Update, please click here. If you are reading this prior to 11 AM on Sunday, Jul 12, then you are welcome to log on to the WebEx session that will start at 10:55 AM on Sunday, Jul 12. (Audio on your telephone: 1(415)655-0001, PIN 126 623 4954)
WALK OF WISDOM. Ephesians 5:15-17. 07/12/20. AM. #27.
Ephesians 5:15-17 [New King James Version (NKJV)]
15 See then that you walk [a]circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
- Walking wisely
- God expects his children to be wise
- He does not say “intelligent”, but wisdom
- There are many foolish smart people (Rm. 1:23)
- To walk circumspectly = accurately or precisely
- To know exactly what to do and then doing it
- Wisdom supersedes feelings and desires
- Walking with wisdom requires 3 components
- Knowledge of Word of God (2 Tim. 2:15)
- Understanding (Pv. 1:7)
- Prudence (acting wisely; Jam. 1:22-25)
- Many people reject the wisdom they are given
- Saul continually disobeyed God
- Solomon rejected the wisdom God gave him and then indulged himself
- Judas walked with the author of all wisdom and sold out Jesus for a few coins
- Prudence (walking in wisdom) is counter to fleshly desires, cultural norms, worldly values, and feelings
- Knowing what to do and then doing it (we know better than to fellowship with evil people, engage in illicit romances, consume harmful substances, spend frivolously, ignore Scripture, indulge the flesh…)
- 1 Peter 3:15 a believer should be known to be wise
- God expects his children to be wise
- The wisdom of God
- Jeremiah 10:12; Proverbs 3:19 the world and universe were made by God’s wisdom
- God owns all wisdom
- Proverbs 8:22-31 wisdom was with God in the beginning
- James 1:4-5 only God can dispense true wisdom
- Proverbs 4:1-13 God tells us to seek wisdom first
- We are to endeavor to be truly wise
- We must commit ours to prudence
- Romans 10:17 wisdom comes through the study and submission to the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12; 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- The wisdom of man is foolishness to God
- Proverbs 14:12; 16:25 the wisdom of man leads to death
- Proverbs 19: 13 the foolishness of man perverts his way
- No time for foolishness
- Time is very short for man (James 4:14)
- Paul tells us to redeem the time
- Redeem = to buy up or purchase (comes from agora for market place)
- Redeeming the time is not to do busy work or to fill up our time with activity
- Redemption of time = making our time count for God
- Avoiding frivolous waste of time through worldly pursuits, self-indulgence, and laziness
- Redeeming the time involves Bible study, prayer, service to others, praise, encouraging others…
- The redemption of time is necessary due to an evil world
- We live in a fallen world that needs the Gospel
- Romans 10 only believers can share the Gospel
- Being a testimony for the Lord is our calling
- Ecclesiastes 12 once the time is gone, it can’t be reclaimed
- There is an urgency in our calling to do God’s will
- Leisure and vacations must not be our main focus
- We must learn how to enjoy pleasing God
- Paul challenges us to understand the will of God
- To understand = bring into focus or clarity
- We must desire to seek God’s will to do it
- Considering our lives, we know what is foolish and wise
Key Verse: Proverbs 4:1-13 [New King James Version (NKJV)]
1 Hear, my children, the instruction of a father,
And give attention to know understanding;
2 For I give you good doctrine:
Do not forsake my law.
3 When I was my father’s son,
Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother,
4 He also taught me, and said to me:
“Let your heart retain my words;
Keep my commands, and live.
5 Get wisdom! Get understanding!
Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you;
Love her, and she will keep you.
7 Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
8 Exalt her, and she will promote you;
She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
9 She will place on your head an ornament of grace;
A crown of glory she will deliver to you.”
10 Hear, my son, and receive my sayings,
And the years of your life will be many.
11 I have taught you in the way of wisdom;
I have led you in right paths.
12 When you walk, your steps will not be hindered,
And when you run, you will not stumble.
13 Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go;
Keep her, for she is your life.